Author Topic: Shooting Ranges/Instructors?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Epaminondas

• Captain
Shooting Ranges/Instructors?
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
While I'm punching down the list of things to do, my wife needs some basic gun training/safety lessons; I need a refresher since its been twenty years since I've handled any firearms.

What is around locally?

Offline Todd the Goalie

• Captain
Re: Shooting Ranges/Instructors?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
You have Weaponcraft in Portland (weaponcrafttraining.com). However, their classes are VERY expensive and I really don't like that they require a minimum caliber to take the class. If you don't own your own handgun, it's even MORE expensive. You can buy a second-hand beater gun for the rate  they rent their 9mm weapons for a day.

There is also Maine Tactical in Saco (mainetactical.net). Cheaper classes, but I don't see any rental info. This is the company my wife and I were recommended by the staff at Cabela's when we asked (though I think the salesperson is a pal of the owner of the business).

I haven't attended either of these yet, as we don't currently have the spare cash to take courses.

Offline Todd the Goalie

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
As for actual "shooting ranges," you'll find that there are pretty much NO public ranges in Maine any more. All of the local ranges around here are private and for members only. Mostly due to insurance liability, zoning ordnances, and the current anti-gun political climate of the general populace.
You might have an in with a private range if you take classes and ask the instructor. The ranges I've looked into require a sponsorship to get in, plus a probationary period and donated time to range maintenance and cleanup.

Offline Epaminondas

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »
Thanks. 

The current safety establishment is the reason I'm dropping my gym membership. They will not allow people to use the squat rack any more.

Which is why the FW order went out the window- money had to go to a home gym. Now I can squat, overhead press and dead lift without the gym nanny whining at me.

Offline Epaminondas

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »
reviving this thread.... Anyone have opinions on local gun stores?

Finally resolved the wet issues in the basement, so its time to put in a gun safe etc...

Maine Tactical advertises classes on the weekend... going to check them out after court on Wednesday...

On completely unrelated news MMC has a patient on Ebola watch.

Offline Todd the Goalie

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
Kittery Trading Post is great, they have half a floor of the building dedicated to used and new guns. Prices are reasonable.
Cabelas has a far smaller selection, with generally higher prices.

I've not bought from anyone else locally. I bought one of my handguns on gunbroker.com, and used an FFL dealer from Standish. If you buy online, I'll give you his info.

I took my CCW licensing class through Cabelas, but I think the company is from Poland or one of the towns near it. It took one full Saturday to compete the class.

Scarborough fish and game has opened some of their ranges to the public at specific times and days, but I think it's mostly shotgun sports.

Offline Ming

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
New indoor range has opened in Windham...beats a gravel pit in a rainstorm.